National Maths Day Thursday

by Mark Southon -
Number of replies: 0

Congratulations to Anandh Balachandirane, who was the third person to correctly answer Tuesday's quiz:

When my mother was 41 years old, I was 9. Now she is twice as old as I am. How old am I? Answer: 32

Anandh can collect his prize from Mr White at the Maths HOD office. The quiz was also correctly answered by Sonya Kyi, Omesh Wimalaratne, Iman Kareem, Christian Kim and Roland Miller.

Congratulations also to Amy (Sihyun) Choi, who was the third person to correctly answer Wednesday's quiz:

Gwen has four children, one is a teenager and the product of their ages is 120. How old is the teenager?  Answer: 15

Amy can collect her prize from Mr White at the Maths HOD office. The quiz was also correctly answered by Nikolai Dindial, Iman Kareem and Omesh Wimalaratne.

Thursday's Quiz Question (this is challenging, you'll need to be good with similar triangles and circle properties to solve it)

Thursday’s Quiz Question:

A tunnel is cut through a hillside, with a semi-circular cross-section. A truck of height 6m can just drive with its nearside wheels 2m from the point where the curved roof meets the horizontal road surface.

How wide is the tunnel, in metres?

Click the link below to answer, or under the Maths menu, go to the Student Maths Resources.

http://www.www.rossmoyneshs.wa.edu.au/mod/quiz/view.php?id=2165

The prize will be given to the first person to correctly solve it (if anyone can do it!)